Malpas began as ‘Mopus Passage’ in early 1800 with buildings situated on the southern side of the Tresillian River. By 1842, 10 dwellings, including two pubs, were located on the northern side of the river in what is now called Malpas. The river was a busy place with boatbuilding yards and many ships discharging cargoes. Passengers also embarked for abroad. By 1880, there were 38 buildings in the village and 1907 saw 51 dwellings. Much development took place before WW2 and in the 1960s, the village doubled in size when the houses on Bar Meadows were built. Malpas remains a tiny but lively community.
In 1882 Reverend Moore, Vicar of St Clement, built a small un-consecrated Mission Church near Victoria Point, called St Andrews. In 1894 Mrs Moore, wife of the Vicar, paid for a wooden hut adjacent to the Church, which was erected by the young men of the village, for use as a Reading Room. Over the next 100 years the Reading Room became the village hall. When this hut finally became too dilapidated, the village residents worked together to raise funds for a community building on this site, finished in 2013.
This new community building comprises the re-furbished old church building and a modern new building which connect to provide a multi use facility. Thus continuing the Malpas tradition of self- sufficiency into the 21st century.