Village News and Letters
Bookings to use the two halls are going well at present and we are receiving many new people and organisations that are using the excellent facilities we provide. The following are among recent bookings that show well accepted the Malpas Village Hall is becoming.
- The Malpas Film Club has just started and this makes use of the excellent AV system installed in the St Andrews Hall. A programme of films is planned over the winter. This is arranged through a link up with C Fylm, Cornwall’s film club network that gives us the ability to choose and watch great films in a congenial atmosphere with friends. Drinks and snacks are available before and in the interval of the film that is being shown.
- The Truro Decorative and Fine Arts Society held their first event using both halls for the day for a lecture and discussion. This event had a visiting speaker who made full use of the St Andrews Hall’s AV system for a PowerPoint presentation and to show videos. A large group of members attended for the day. The society were very happy with the facilities and immediately booked the two halls for another day’s event in the New Year.
- The Invictus Trust is a small charity that aims to support and offer services to local teenagers suffering from poor mental health and associated issues. Each year they have a major evening event and this year they are having the Invictus Glitter Ball at the Retallack Resort near Newquay. The highlight of this black tie event is a Strictly Style Dancing competition. To prepare for this Invictus has booked the two halls for one night a week for eight weeks for dance training using a professional dance coach for the ten couples who will be competing.
- Malpas Fireworks is one of the big annual events in the Malpas Calendar and this will happen on the 4th November. This is an event organised and run by the Heron Inn and last year it attracted a huge attendance. As well as fireworks the Heron provided an outside hog roast and bar. This year they will be doing the same and at the same time the Malpas Village Hall Trust will be hosting food and drinks at the village hall from where there will be a great view of the fireworks display.
- The Malpas Panto will take place in January from the 12th to the 14th. Details will be provided nearer the date but make sure to reserve these dates for the highlight of the Malpas social season.
- The two halls are in regular use throughout the week for a number of groups running sessions such as yoga, pilates, model building, quilting, coffee and books, and table tennis. We also have a training organisation that is booking one of the halls for long weekend sessions starting in December and running throughout 2018.
What we are finding is that despite the limited parking we can offer that Malpas Village Hall is becoming one of the most appreciated locations for events of all types. The facilities offered are as good as any location within the surrounding area.
1. The updates to the Village hall have now been completed. In the St Andrews Hall there is a new ventilation to control dampness, and re-plastering and repainting the area that had been affected has been carried out. New lighting has been fitted to give a much better illumination of all areas of the hall. In the Barton Hall sound deadening panels have been fitted and this has made the hall much quieter when there are a large number of people in it. The new audio visual system has now been completed in the St Andrews Hall and this provides the ability to playing of DVDs and CDs for both music and videos. iPads can also be connected for music, and laptop computers can connect to the A/V system via an HDMI connection for presentations, videos and music. The hall has a large electrically controlled screen for showing videos and presentations.
2. The undercroft storage facility under the Barton Hall has now been completed and is being used to store much of the equipment owned by the Malpas Village Social Committee.
3. We are opening this page on the website to show letters or news from village residents. If you have something to report to the village please send us a letter and we will post it in the letter section below.